Saturday 9 October 2010

BEDESO #8 (42)

Tomorrow is 10/10/10; the sort of date that everyone gets excited about and special events are being held at 10:10 on 10/10/10 and other various things. Some people have some odd superstitious beliefs about this date, but the only special thing about this date, in my opinion, is that 101010 is binary for 42; and that gives a lovely platform for me to go off on a Hitchhiker’s rant.


Anyone who’s anyone with a bit of nerd knowledge knows that 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Sure, we don’t know what the question is, but 42 is an answer! Obviously, not a very informative or helpful one but it is an answer nonetheless. Not that I think 42 has any major importance or significance or anything like that but The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is an awesome book.

Any observant reader of my blog will have noticed that I’ve been reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy at the moment. Well, when I say I’ve been reading it, I have it open half way through the first book but I haven’t had time to read much more. I’ve read all five books previously but I want to read them again. The way Douglas Adams writes is so wonderfully random and so logical without making one ounce of sense. Marvin the paranoid android, doors that sigh, the improbability drive, flying by forgetting to hit the ground, transporting through time on a sofa, the somebody else’s problem drive, just some of the many awesome ideas.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten half of what’s in the books, which is partly why I’m rereading them, but I can certainly remember the awesomeness of Hitchhikers. Oh, and for those of you who love the books but don’t like the film: did you know that Douglas Adams originally started writing it and it was only his death that prompted his friends to finish the script and have it (finally) made into a film. In my opinion, the film is also awesome just not the same, intense awesome as the books; Similar, but not the same.

I think this blog’s ending is now more relevant than normal...

                “So long, and thanks for all the fish.”


Current book I’m reading: The Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy
Last TV show watched: Doctor Who - Flesh and Stone (and obviously 'The Time of Angels' just before)
Current programs/web pages open: Blogger - Edit posts, Twitter, Hotmail, Formspring, msn, word, Windows Media Player
Number of people I’m talking to on msn/Facebook: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment