Friday 29 October 2010

BEDESO #25 (THE GAME)

According to Wikipedia:


"The Game is a mind game where the objective is to avoid thinking about The Game itself. Thinking about The Game constitutes a loss, which, according to the rules of The Game, must be announced each time it occurs. It is impossible to win The Game; players can only attempt to avoid losing for as long as they possibly can. The Game has been variously described as pointless and infuriating, or as a challenging game that is fun to play.
There are three rules to The Game:
  1. Everyone in the world is playing The Game. (Sometimes narrowed to: "Everybody in the world who knows about The Game is playing The Game", or alternatively, "You are always playing The Game.") You cannot not play The Game; it does not require consent to play and you can never stop playing.
  2. Whenever one thinks about The Game, one loses.
  3. Losses must be announced to at least one person (either by using a statement such as "I Lost The Game" or by alternative means).
The common rules do not define a point at which The Game ends. However, one reported variation states that The Game ends when the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom announces on television that "The Game is up." After you have announced your loss, some variants allow for a grace period, during which you cannot lose the game, which varies in time. Note, however, that the grace period is not part of the three official rules."

Why are you telling me this?! I hear you cry. Well, it's because I'm basically the worst player of THE GAME ever. Since I got reminded of it on Roothill in the summer, I don't think I have gone more than 48 hours without losing THE GAME. Every little thing seems to remind me of it. I notice almost every reference to any form of GAME and immediately link it back to THE GAME.

My friends don't help much either. Sending me text messages, Facebook messages, or just mentioning it to me in passing. Also, one of the girls in my mentor group at school has 'very nicely' written THE GAME on the class notice board. Seen as I sit directly in front of that notice board, I can see that quite clearly! She also has a habit of saying 'THE GAME' when she passes me in the corridor. I basically have no hope.

I've tried tricking others into losing the game to get them back. I named a recent photo album on Facebook "THE GAME" but that sort of backfired and, when looking for photographs for a friend's scrapbook, I came across the album and promptly lost THE GAME.

It doesn't help that there's no way to win. I try to not think of it as then I'll just think of it more! Some people just ignore THE GAME which is sort of boring in my opinion. Nevertheless, it would make not losing that little bit easier. Also, ever since deciding on THE GAME as a blog topic a few hours ago, I've been periodically going "I should really blog" followed by "Argh! I just lost THE GAME!"

So, I'll leave you with two words...
THE GAME

  "So long and thanks for all the fish."

PS. If you, for some reason, wanted to see where I am in the "Russell Howard's Good News" audience, I am here:

PPS. Hank sums up THE GAME very well too.


Current book I’m reading: Counterfeit Gods
Last TV show watched: QI
Current programs/web pages open: Twitter, Dailybooth, Blogger - Edit Posts, Sticky Notes, MSN, Write or Die, A White Horizon,
Number of people I’m talking to on msn/Facebook: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment