Friday 15 October 2010

BEDESO #13 (Radio 4)

I've been meaning to talk about radio 4 for a while. It's my parent's choice of radio station and, since I decided I don't like what's in the charts, it's also the only radio station I listen to. Admittedly that's mainly because it's on almost permanently in the kitchen but that's besides the point.

I used to find radio 4 really boring but now I find that I actually quite enjoy listening to some of the programs. I've even caught myself asking for the radio to be turned up while we're eating dinner because everyone's talking over the top! This does mean I mainly end up listening to the programs that are on at about six thirty but I do think they are some of the best! "Just a minute" is a genius program and "The Unbelievable Truth" is also really interesting. I also really want to go back and listen to all the radio series of "Genius" and it's shows like these that make radio 4 awesome.

The thing is, around seven o'clock you get a transformation in the radio program quality that is just terrible. You go (via the news) from programs like "Just a Minute" to "The Archers". I think "The Archers" totally lets down the whole of radio 4 and, to be honest, I don't really understand it at all! You go from intellectual comedy, to news, to an audio form of a soap. It just doesn't really fit in, in my opinion, plus my parent's obsession with it is also a little disconcerting!

For as long as I can remember, my parents have listened to "The Archers". I remember moaning at them from the time I realised what I was listening to, getting the theme tune embedded in my head (and also somehow occasionally confusing it with that of Blue Peter) and constantly wondering where on earth the 'agricultural storyline' is. I believe that quite often the only agricultural input is a cow or sheep noise in the background and the characters spend most of their time gossiping just like on any other soap. However, unlike others who have the problem of parents listening to "The Archers", I also have the problem of being constantly compared to one of the characters. Admittedly, it's mainly jokingly, but one of the characters is practically my age so I get told that she'll be "getting her results like you today!" or "her birthday's soon as well!" or "she's going back to school too!" or "I wonder if she's got any offers from university?" To be honest, I'm not sure if the character is actually applying for uni and the last example hasn't actually been said yet but give it time!

Nevertheless, the majority of what I hear on radio 4 isn't that bad. An Oxford representative even said that it was a good idea to spend more time listening to radio 4 but then again, she may not have meant the programs between 6.30 and 7.15pm!

        "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Current book I’m reading: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Last TV show watched: Doctor Who - Cold Blood (haven't had time to watch anything else!)
Current programs/web pages open: Blogger - Edit posts, Twitter, facebook, YouTube, iPlayer, Windows Live Mail
Number of people I’m talking to on msn/Facebook: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment