Tuesday 16 August 2011

Summer in the City!


When I first read this question, I wasn't really sure what to answer with. It's one of those questions that when asked, my mind goes blank and I'm all "but I can't think of anything now!" However, after this weekend, I guess you could claim that in some people's opinion, it answers this question: What’s the strangest activity/project/group you’ve been involved with?

On Saturday, I headed over to London for the main day of Summer in the City. So far, if you don't know what I'm on about you probably think this is fairly normal. However, most people (especially those who don't 'get' the YouTube community) may think that my spending an afternoon in Regents Park with a bunch of people who I've never really met before, some of whom I watch on YouTube and the main thing we all have in common being YouTube, is a bit odd. Plus the crowd around one certain Charlie McDonnell would definitely confuse those who don't realise his 'internet fame' as it were.

Only at Summer in the City would you get hundreds of nerds emerging from behind their computer screens, filling Regent's Park with cries of 'DFTBA' and chants of 'Maureen Johnson, where are you?!', or so many people in the same obscure T-Shirt such as that of Sons of Admirals or a Pizza John shirt or so many people dressed up; Only at Summer in the City will you get two Eleventh Doctors, one Amy Pond, one Tenth Doctor, a monkey, and an Aperture Science test victim complete with portal gun. I think those who weren't either dressed up or wearing an obscure and/or nerdy shirt were severely outnumbered.

Oh, and then there were the cameras. Everywhere you looked on Saturday there were cameras, video cameras, people talking to cameras as they vlogged, people pointing cameras at other people as they were challenged to do silly things or asked to say something, cameras taking pictures of fangirls with their YouTube obsessions and cameras taking pictures of groups of friends who know each other over the internet but so rarely get to meet up. CDs and notebooks and my giant, almost filled scrapbook were handed over to YouTubers with a pen asking for signatures, drawings, a message, a random fact, anything to remind them of the time they actually met the person rather than just seeing their face pop up in their subscription boxes once again.

Saturday was a great day. Getting to know YouTubers, having others randomly come up to you and say hi, going through my whole scrapbook with Tom Ska (Hello parking meter... Hello!) while Charlie McDonnell is mere meters away getting fangirled, being able to sing along to EddPlant's music live, being able to tell YouTubers in person how much you appreciate their videos and realising that they are all just normal people. Normal people in this sub-community where they are 'internet celebrities' as some call them but ultimately so normal. Thank you everyone who was there for a great day and DFTBA!!


Twenty Questions status: 11 down, 9 to go
programs open: windows live mail, sticky notes, chrome (Blogger in draft: new post, My blog,)
Latest music listened to: Mike Lombardo: If I Say (Let go)
Last film/tv watched: How to Train Your Dragon I think because I wasn't really watching whatever was on Terrie's TV earlier and I don't think I've watched anything since...
Latest book read: If you could see me now
Latest edible item consumed:A pint of Coke
Predominant colour of clothes wearing: Pink and Grey PJs! I'm ready to go to bed as soon as this is posted!
Days until Roothill: 4..... 9 posts left to do in 4 days... eek!!

1 comment:

  1. hm, sounds like SITC might even have had me confused...

    ReplyDelete