Tuesday 9 August 2011

Baaalmy obsessions


So now I'm going to answer the big question. The one that so many of you must have been asking as you raise your eyebrows at my blog's name or (if you know me IRL) as you see me sitting next to you complete with sheep t-shirt, socks and shoes with sheep drawn on: Where did the sheep obsession come from?

You know, I think the obsession is something that has sort of crept up on me. I've always loved animals but when I was younger, it was always dolphins I obsessed over. I have a ton of little dolphin ornaments, my lampshade has dolphins stencilled over it, part of my room has a dolphin border round it (where it's not covered by posters) and you can also see the occasional stencilled dolphin peek out from under the things covering the wall around my noticeboard. Everything had to be dolphin related. Once, through school, I met the author of the Roman Mysteries series and my obsession meant I bought the dolphin related book for her to sign rather than starting at the beginning like any normal person. However, this doesn't explain the sheep obsession really does it? But in some ways it's important. Somewhere along the line, my dolphin obsession started to fade and a sheep obsession started to kick it. Maybe something to do with the sheep in the field at the end of our garden, possibly something somewhere harking back to the nightmares I used to have as a very little girl of sheep jumping over the fence and swarming our garden. (Which apparently actually used to happen in a less drastic way before we put in a new fence but it's funny how I remember the dream but not the actual sheep. Then again, I would have been only about 18 months old.)

This may have all been building up but I think the turning point came on Easter Camp one year. We were doing some high ropes and in the field next to where we were, there were some sheep. I said, as illogical me would, something along the lines of: "Those sheep must be feeling left out, seeing so many people do high ropes right next to them. I wonder if we could make a sheep harness so they could join in? Ooh! How about a sheep zipwire!" and then for a lot of the rest of the week, I was talking about sheep, saying 'sheep' as the answer to any questions that I didn't know the answer to and sheep seemed to take over....

So really, the sheep obsession partly snook up on me and partly was the result of a rather obscure and random comment...

Alons-y...

Twenty Questions status: 3 down, 17 to go...
programs open: Steam chat, sticky notes, windows live mail, windows media player, chrome (blogger in draft: new post)
Latest music listened to: Driftless Pony Club's American Princes is currently playing
Last film/tv watched: Still Top Gear
Latest book read: Cecelia Ahern's If you could see me now.
Latest edible item consumed: Still the awesomeness that is crunch cake. Unless you count toothpaste but I didn't really eat that...
Predominant colour of clothes wearing: still grey/white, I'm not going to change out of my pyjamas now am I?!
Days until Roothill: 11

1 comment:

  1. that wasn't quite the origin story i was expecting (mind you, i don't know what i was expecting really), but it was very interesting reading. the mental image of a sheep on a zip wire isn't one i ever thought i'd see B)

    as a side note: 'snook' vs 'snuck'? i've never really thought about which (if either) is the more 'correct' form, and chances are i'll get distracted again long before i manage to answer the question! oh well.

    ReplyDelete