Thursday 5 January 2012

Essaytastic

So, while I've been busy regretting leaving an essay to the last minute, my fellow "First 12 for '12" competitors have been streaming ahead, making me panic (and adding to the process by distracting me) however, no fear, my essay is completed and sent off and I am back in the running! (Well, I will be soon I'd like to think...)

So why did I leave my essay until the last minute? Because it had the dullest title in history. After "Write a 30000 word essay on the process of watching paint dry" I think "Using a range of different examples explain the importance of structure in relation to function in biology" is in the running for second most boring essay title. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised with some of the things I discovered in my trawling of Creation Ministries and online databases for inspiration and credible references.

One of the most interesting articles I actually came across was on the Creation website. (I have to admit I didn't go much further than reading the abstracts on most of the journal articles I looked at. Seriously thank goodness for abstracts.) This article was on the chemical composition of tears. Wait! Wait! I know I can hear some of your brains audibly clicking off with the mouse hovered over the back button but this article is really interesting. It's basically saying that there is truth about the whole "crying makes it all better" theory.

It turns out that crying when your stressed actually gets rid of the lot of the toxins that build up in your body when you're stress along with molecules involved in pain. Yup, crying really does make you feel better. In fact, it was discovered that holding in tears actually makes us more stressed!

Furthermore, there is a real, scientific reason why girls cry more than guys. Yup, girls have higher levels of those toxin-y things in their body in the first place so of course girls will have to excrete these chemicals more frequently.

Yup, who said science was boring? *glares at person trying to raise their hand at the back*

"Fun science, fun science, fun science is the science of fun!"

Live long and post often =]


 STATS
"First 12 for '12" Status: 2 down, 1 to go
Latest book read: The Bible/Inheritance
Latest film/TV watched: Young James Herriot
Latest music listened to: Please Just Takie These Photos From My Hand - Snow Patrol
Latest edible item eaten/drunk: Cadbury Button Ice Cream. Yup.
Predominant colour of current clothing: Blue. As usual
Programs and web pages currently open: Chrome - HanNav v1.0, Blogger, the article mentioned above - Windows Live Mail, Sticky Notes, Steam Chat, Windows media player

4 comments:

  1. well, the things you discover, eh?

    although having said that, the thing about the hormonal benefits of crying sounds vaguely familiar somehow. i might have come across the article before, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really hold in tears, I just bottle everything up but every so often I need to let it out and that usually comes in the form of a Blind Rage Attack where I just go off more than likely at someone nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any scientific evidence to back the claim up, but I found that playing the guitar has a very therapeutic effect. Fretting stops you fretting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear, tim... that's a dreadful pun!

    ReplyDelete