Tuesday 7 September 2010

Grace and Caffeine (Or the works of someone who I'd love to have met sooner) [Part 1 because I can't narrow down my favourites enough]

Yesterday, I went through the whole archive for Grace and Caffeine. Grace and Caffeine is a Christian comic strip written by one of the awesome new friends I met on Roothill and they are awesome. Some put across a really important message, some make those of us who are Christians think about whether we care about the right things, while others are just plain funny; And a good funny, not like a lot of tainted stuff around that claims to be funny.


So, I thought I’d share with you some of my favourites. Putting all 178 here would be silly seen as they’re on their own special website but I’ve chosen those which I really like and I’ll add a little comment for some of them too. (Be sure to check out Matt’s comments and some colour versions on the actual site too.)

 I think it's really silly how some churches can fall out over such silly things. Nevertheless, I have been in some church meetings with genuine problems and that makes you thankful for the times the arguments are just over the colour of the wall or something.

 There is actually quite a serious point hidden behind this one. Many people reject the gospel because it makes them think of things they don't like to think of. Like the fact we're not perfect and we can't save ourselves, and death. However, I don't think making the gospel shiny will help; only God can change hearts permanently.

 The number of times I've seen church floors get a soaking after a baptism! Although, at my friend's baptism, her jeans decided that covering the floor with water wasn't enough; we needed blue denim dye too, obviously!

 I like this as a follow up to the previous one I put on here.

 And people think that DNA happened by chance... Enough said...

 This one made me smile due to the number of times I've noticed mistakes. We're only sinful humans after all.

 Us English Christians worry about which version to use when other parts of the world don't even have the whole Bible translated into their own language. As long as it's not some silly paraphrased 'street Bible' *cough*, we should be so happy that we have a version in our language so we don't have to learn Hebrew/Greek etc. Although I like the idea of the waterproof camping bible...

 This one I particularly liked because I've got my driving test very soon. If they judge that with God's standard's, I'm never going to pass!

 I'm a sucker for metaphors and similes and although I think Matt was trying to get at how confusing some of the hymns can be, this is too, in itself, a metaphor. Oh, and I like the drawing.

 I like my spiritual food. I think turning up to a restaurant and not getting any food is disheartening but also, not turning up to the restaurant and still expecting food is stupid.

 Considering the time of year and the number of imminent changes in my life in the next year, I'm so thankful that God's word will never, ever change.

 See!! Science does support the Bible!!

 As much as I love computers, I agree, you cannot beat a good, solid book. Sticking to the book metaphor also means that there wouldn't be problems with a power cut. Not that heaven would have power cuts... but you get my point.
 I like this one because I didn't realise the dates coincided. Even if I did spend last year studying Martin Luther as part of As history... well, that would explain the grade.

 Maybe, Christians, we should compete with the shops by starting to pray for Christmas evangelistic evens before they put up decorations. Just saying.

 Such a serious point. Nothing can be resolved without first finding the problem. Why would our lives be any different?
 I think we should always think more about what we're singing. Not just at Christmas. Some new songs (fewer old as they've been seived out) have really wishy-washy words. Especially after changes. *cough - Praise*

Comforting words. And has God let us down yet?

 I like this one as this is my sort of logic.

 I think I need to learn some new light quotes. I'm afraid I'm guilty of quoting Genisis 1:3 when flicking light switches.

 Just let this one sink in.

 I think there are so many Bible names that just aren't used by Christian parents as they should be. Elijah, Eli, Elisha, Abiah, Jeremiah, Obadiah, Abraham, Isaiah, Adaiah, Amos, Anaiah, Gideon, Noah, Enoch, Naphtali, Nehemiah...

I don't know what's worse, slow, gradually getting slower, or where the words just don't fit the tune.

Right, so as to avoid inundating you with images, part II coming soon!

(Thank you Matt btw =])

1 comment:

  1. Awe-mazing post!!
    I never knew about Matt's strips until this post so thanks a lot! Can see many hours being spent reading those tonight! xD

    Hurry up with part 2!! :D x

    ReplyDelete