Tuesday 3 November 2009

Living in a Box

Being in year 12, we now get 'luxuries' including a common room. However, our common room is basically a box. OK, so its large...ish... but that's all it is: a large-ish mobile.
This morning, my friends and I were in the common and we realized we were trapped by the rain. Yes rain. We were subject to the rain tipping down outside meaning we couldn't leave the common room without getting soaked to the skin.
To be honest, I wouldn't mind it so much if we had something in the common room. If we had a drinks machine, a fridge, a microwave, or even a humble cold tap, I may be less inclined to grumble. Nevertheless, each time I crave a piece of food, a drink, or even a piece of paper (not that a microwave would solve that problem...) I must brave the elements and cross the short distance between the common room door and the school. OK, so we have a football table, a ping pong table, and a lot of chairs, but I can't eat those!

As a 'hard working' teen, I need my food readily accessible, and the common room is the only place we're allowed to eat during our free periods. "What about the canteen?" I hear you cry. Well my dear, as a teen, comfort is also a necessity and the canteen lacks comfy chairs. Anyway, the canteen only serves food at lunch and break: the times where it is overcrowded with pushy younger years. (And don't get me started on the prices!) All other rooms are also a no-go. Pretty much all the rooms in the school are either offices or have lessons in them. As for the library, just like a lot of libraries, the "DO NOT EAT OR DRINK IN HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" rule sort of over-rules the comfort of the chairs. Plus the "NO TALKING" puts a bit of a dampener on all fun except naughts and crosses.

Therefore, my friend, I feel my only option is to starve. Or maybe using my initiative as our head of sixth form suggested wouldn't be such a bad idea...

Dear Mr Headmaster...
I WANT FOOD IN THE COMMON ROOM! please...
Your hungry student,

Hannah =)

No comments:

Post a Comment