Wednesday 4 November 2009

I'm a nerdy teen! What else do you expect?

Multitasking is the ability to simultaneously do more than one task at the same time. Well, technically, multitasking involves quickly switching from one task to the other but the outcome is pretty much the same!

I'm always doing about five things at once and the common question I'm asked my parents is "How can you watch telly while you're doing homework?" The answer? Easy. It's a talent that all nerdy teenagers possess. The complex ability to be able to write up a blog, watch Doctor Who, surf Facebook, talk on msn and do homework, is obviously a gift that pre-technology philistines do not have. Some say that I complete them all a little slower than I would if I focused on one at a time but surely the total time is the same? 1+1+3+1+4+1+2+2+1+3+4+2 equals exactly the same as 10+7+8.

What I don't understand is how parents manage to do numerous tasks at the same time yet don't understand my 'ability' to do other things at the same time as homework. My mum manages to cook tea, moan at me and my sister to do homework, talk on the phone and talk to herself all at the same time. How is that any different to what I'm doing?

I'm a nerdy teenager and I cannot function if I go more than a day or two without YouTube, Facebook, or some other internet based nerdiness. Furthermore, as a sixth former, I have quite a bit of work to do. So what is my solution? Multitasking. You could say I've adapted to my environment, but one thing's clear: I will never just do my homework alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment