Wednesday 11 November 2009

The end of an era

As I sit here at the computer, to my left is a pad of Narrow Ruled A4 paper. Initially there were 200 sheets in it, but now I am only down to two. You're now wondering why I'm ranting on about an old, almost empty pad of paper. Well, my friend, this is not just any almost empty pad of paper, this is a Woolworths almost empty pad of paper!

Yes, I still own Woolworths branded stationary. However, I do believe this is my last officially Woolworthian item. The last thing remaining to remind me of a shop that dictated my pick 'n' mix intake for all my life until it decided to go bust. It must have been the only place in my town that sold stuff for under £30 and the only place where you could buy something that wasn't an antique (the expensive, fancy way of selling second-hand stuff really if you ask me). Woolworths had been around forever and now there will be a whole generation that will have grown up without knowing this 'great' store.

As a kid, I would go in with my mum or dad and make it my mission to press as many of the buttons in the toy section as possible. I would feel that my trip was incomplete until I had ensured my parents were sufficiently embarrassed by the number of singing, beeping, barking or meowing toys that I had set off. As I got older, I discovered the pick 'n' mix section and whenever I had some money, I would get pick 'n' mix. One of the big changes in Woolworths was when they changed over from paper bags for the sweets to set price tubs. I remember how I went in with one of my friends and we squashed as many sweets as possible into the tub! There were so many, the lid was almost coming off! I also soon discovered the CD and video section. (Yes, the 'good' old days of VHS!) I often casually browsed the shelves making a mental list of all the music and films I would buy if I had an endless supply. Obvious, still being under the age of ten I didn't have enough money to buy anything, plus I would still prefer to spend the money on pick 'n' mix!

Late Night Shopping in my town is one times when I will miss Woolworths. One year I went in about three times in one evening! That meant I went up to the counter about twice and both times I was served by a guy in a snowman outfit. And that's sort of about where the story ends...

My Woolworths was replaced by The Factory Shop. Yeah, it's cheap. Yeah, it sells similar stuff to Woolworths. But what can really replace Woolworths: the childhood memories, the pick 'n' mix, and the cheesy adverts with a sheep (a.k.a Wooly) and a Dog (a.k.a Worth)...

No comments:

Post a Comment