Monday 2 November 2009

I'm Sorry, Do I know you?

1st day back from school after half term. For most this means getting back into routines, getting up early after a week of lay-ins, and homework due in that was meant to be completed over the holiday. For me, it means this, but it also means the termly rush at the bus for our new bus passes. The younger years push and shove, wanting to get a 'good' seat, while the older years wait patiently(ish), knowing that if someone sits in their seat, they can always scare them into moving! Usually, I just step onto the bus, say my name, take my bus pass from the driver's hand, say 'thank you', and walk on to my seat. This time was different. Before I could escape to the confines of my seat, the bus driver said six words: "Oh, I should have known that."

Should have known what?! Are you suggesting that you should have known my name? I'm sorry, but I certainly didn't feel like he 'should have known' my name. Yes, I've got the same bus since year 7, making this about the 30th time I've collected my bus pass, but we don't have the same bus driver each day. Some days we have 'the bald one', sometimes 'the grumpy one', and sometimes this one that we had today. And, unless he has amazing eyesight, I'm pretty sure he doesn't read my name every time I flash it at him as I get on.
Furthermore, how often do I talk to him? I think the longest conversation we had was:

"Ah, I see you're late again!"
"Yeah, mornin'!"
"You gunna be earlier tomorrow?"
"Erm, I guess!"

And that certainly didn't include my name! Surely that just labels me as 'the one who's always late'.

OK, so I know his name: Bruce. But that's only 'cos my friend talks to him when the bus stops and waits in town for the other buses. Apparently, he knows her name, which, I guess, is fair enough. But I can't be interesting enough for me, or my name, to come up in conversation. Even concerning my lateness, I'm pretty sure my friend wouldn't have mentioned more than my first name.
So where did his idea come from? The idea that he should know my name? My full name mind you. Not just 'Hannah', but also my surname, the thing that distinguishes me from the ten-zillion other Hannah's that are in the world and I'm pretty sure there's at least one, maybe even two more, that get on my bus. Seriously? What has come to the world?!

No comments:

Post a Comment