Monday 23 November 2009

I can’t love you because you’re not [Carlisle] Cullen...


Last Thursday night, (well, technically Friday morning) a few friends, me, and enough other people to fill three screens, went to see New Moon at my local cinema.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Twilight Saga (as in I've bought all the books, read them a couple or three times, and seen both films as soon as they came out) but I'm not a squealing fan girl with all the merchandise and a cardboard cut-out of Edward (aka. Robert Pattinson). And through this love of Twilight, I have discovered that the series is like Marmite: You either love it or hate it. Most people claim that the author Stephanie Meyor is an awful writer and either love her writing despite that, or give that as their reason to avoid her books like the plague. I read a comment online somewhere saying they thought Twilight reads like a sixteen-year-old's diary. The thing is: that's pretty much what it is. To be honest, I think that's why so many teenage girls love the series so much. It's written exactly how they think and about something almost every girl longs for: love. (After typing this, I also read a blog by John Green and he encapsulates EXACTLY what I'm trying to get at. So I'll link it right... here =])

Furthermore, amongst Twilight fans, you tend to get two groups: team Edward; and team Jacob. That is, the ones who hate New Moon because Edward breaks Bella's heart; and those who just want Bella and Jacob to get together. The thing is, I'm not really either. I guess on a superficial level, the films have made me sway to team Jacob what with Taylor Lautner's unignorable hotness, but I'm generally Switzerland. I'm not like Bella in that I'd want both of them, but I would have neither of them. Or, to be more precise, I only want small bits of each of them. I don't even understand why I love the books half the time! Edward annoys me with his possessiveness and protectiveness and Jacob annoys me for just how long he takes to try to get on with the Cullens. Thing is, I'm more lenient with Jake, he's just a young boy (and he does understand it in the end). Also, I guess I'd be fine with the Edward that emerges at the end of Breaking Dawn after Bella becomes a vampire. But I've decided to start my own new team... Go team Carlisle!

No comments:

Post a Comment