Wednesday 4 November 2009

I think we're alone now...

Today I had my first proper afternoon at my new job (although when I say job, I mean doing housework for someone for a bit of money. Hey, I'll do anything for £6 an hour seen as some of my friends only get minimum wage!) At exactly 2.10, the lady I'm helping left the house to start the school run leaving me in an empty house. This left me in a totally empty house; alone.

Totally alone is something I haven't been for a while and I'd forgotten how much I like it! Usually I get no time to myself. When I get home my mum's there and even walking home from the bus stop I've got my sister there too. Walking anywhere alone hardly counts either seen as I'm pretty sure I would get a lot of funny looks if I suddenly starting singing along with my mp3. Even being alone in a room doesn't count if there are others in the house. Being totally alone is a rare, but amazing treat.

I love having time to myself. 'Yourself' is the only person that you're ever truly 'yourself' around. I know you'd get lonely if you never had anyone else to talk to, but a good dose of aloneness (I think) is healthy. It gives you a chance to indulge in things like talking to yourself and singing badly! And don't start telling me that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness! In fact, I think it prevents madness. Thinking things over is always good and doing that aloud prevents those almost inevitable distractions surfacing quite so soon!

Being alone, I find, also makes it easier to get on with jobs and tasks. For some reason, I'm much more efficient doing them when nobody is around! To be honest, it's probably because I know no-one is around to watch me. I can get on with my jobs in my own way without any criticism, voiced or otherwise. It can't be just me who feels that any little mistake I make, the task giver will pounce upon me and tell me exactly how they would do it and that I should do it exactly like that too. I'm generally not a particularly paranoid or self-conscious person but, for some reason, completing a list of tasks causes me to think in this totally illogical manner! Be it a teacher, a friend, my mum or my sister, I would much rather be able to get on with tasks without them watching.

Now that I've been reminded of how great being alone for a couple of hours can be I'm looking forward to next time it happens: Crank up my music to full volume, sing along to my favourite (but relatively unknown) YouTube artists, and gradually tick off the jobs waiting patiently on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment