Tuesday 24 November 2009

I now pronounce you husband and wife.


Everyone has an idea of where they'd like to see themselves in the future and you would be hard pushed to find someone who doesn't see love as part of their plan. Relationships and marriage are, more often than not, put forward in films and on TV as the best state to be in and singleness is often just seen as part of the journey to finding a partner. Most songs are either of heartbreak or a declaration of love and every film contains romance, even if it's just a minor sub-plot. Those who have never had a boyfriend or girlfriend are often subject to a response of disbelief and if you've not been kissed by the age of about eighteen, popular media suggests there is something wrong with you.

The thing is: singleness is so undermined. I'm not saying that I don't like the idea of getting married to a nice Christian bloke sometime in the future, but I'm learning to understand that singleness isn't always a bad thing; singleness is not an inferior second option.

Firstly, going out with someone takes up so much of your time! You have to find time to see them and spend time with them along with the ordinary complications of life. I am honestly amazed at the teens who managed to juggle a long time boyfriend/girlfriend, school work, a job, family life, and social life! Sometimes I feel that some teenagers rush into relationships, forgetting the impact that it will have on the other aspects of your life. I'm not saying that people don't get caught up in the moment: I've been there and done that (and will learn from the experience). Nevertheless, we do need to be reminded that real life isn't like the movies. We won't bump into the perfect guy who's both handsome and smart, find love at first sight, and get married into a lifelong and happy marriage.

Secondly, as a Christian, being single gives me more time to focus on God. I don't have a boyfriend to distract me in services (even if he's doing so unintentionally) or cause me to stay up late talking on the phone rather than reading my Bible. I admit there are also advantages: he could encourage me in my bible reading and quiz me on the service after to ensure I was listening, but the two sides cancel each other out.

You think I'm insane: admit it. Who'd want to be single when there's the option of being in a relationship? Honestly, I would love to have a boyfriend to share everything with, but I think we so often need to stop elevating relationships to such a high level. Being single can be good. We need to embrace that and stop pining for that "special" guy or girl to come along.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you did have a 'sort of boyfriend' !! heloo? cliff diving? confused.com :) munum

    ReplyDelete