Wednesday 9 December 2009

Sniff and Tell.


Smells are funny things. Some are nice, some are not so nice. Nevertheless, so many of them remind you of different things: places, events, childhood memories. Some smells trigger bad memories while others trigger memories that take you on a long journey of nostalgia.

Sometimes, smells catch you off guard. For example, around a year ago, I was washing my hand in some public toilets when the smell of the soap suddenly reminded me of the boyfriend I had broken up with only a month previous. I had spent six months smelling the same smell on him and to smell it again just threw me.

However, not all smells ignite difficult memories. I have a particular body lotion which is like a mental cocktail of memories every time I smell it. I mostly use it when I go away to various places so it reminds me of the different places I've stayed. Mainly, it reminds me of Easter Camp 2009. The smell transports me back to the small bathroom in our room and from there takes me on a journey through all that I got up to on that week. A week of long walks, shower disasters (the fire alarm went off in the middle of my shower!), games of pool, and inspiring talks come rushing back to me, all from a simple sniff.

Obviously, not all smells trigger such specific memories. Smells like fresh cut grass and barbeques remind me of a wide range of things and seem to prompt a different pleasant summertime memory each time they're smelt. One time, the smell of grass may transport me back to summer afternoons in primary school where I would stay out on the lawn as late as possible until shadows encased the garden. Another time, the smell may trigger memories of the many late night walks I went on during Crowborough Camps 2004-2007. From there I may then remember the many deep discussions I had with the various leaders and the times we laid down under the stars singing hymns until someone unwittingly shouts "car!"

So many smells seem to remind me either of the Christian camps I've been on. I guess this is because they were such a big part of my life. If I hadn't gone on these camps would not have become a Christian when I did and what I've been taught on them has played a large part in shaping who I am today. I've met so many great friends on these camps and maybe it's a good thing that I've got these smells to remind me of the great times I had. Whatever the trigger, I would hate to forget so many of the great memories that I have that shape who I am and, I guess, who I am going to be.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment