Tuesday 15 December 2009

Alone in a crowd


Going up to someone I don't know and initiating conversation with them is not one of my strong points. I can happily talk to my friends for hours on end but I suddenly become incredibly shy if you put me in a room of strangers. Therefore, it is no surprise that prior to coming up to Nottingham for this Vetmedlink course, I was incredibly nervous.

The journey up was fine. Besides the inevitable getting lost five minutes from arriving, I had an enjoyable 4-5 hours just listening to music, talking to my dad and educating him on the ins and outs of Trock. However, this time sped by quickly and after saying goodbye, I was left alone in a place which I didn't know with people I had never met before.

I decided that the best thing I could do was to wander around to get my bearings and hope to meet someone else doing likewise. Before long, I found a couple of girls who were just as lost as me but were meant to be going in the same direction. Between us, we found our way to the correct lecture hall and found some seats. Somehow, I ended up sitting next to a guy and a girl and, in the breaks, started chatting. They seemed pretty nice and I established that his name is Stuart. I've spent much of the afternoon sitting with them in the various lectures and also discovered that Stuart is into Rubik's cubes! In one break, I ended up talking him through how to solve one. Rubik's cubes will either form friendships or break them!

Eventually, lectures finished at 10:30 and I'm now wondering what tomorrow will bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment