Monday 7 December 2009

Fame is relative.


On Wednesday 25th, my school had a gig run by the infamous site MySpace. Chipmunk and You Me at Six were coming and, although I didn't go, I was unable to avoid the excitement that resounded around the school all morning. Girls were getting over excited as MySpace tech men scurried around the corridors and some people in my yeah did all they could to help backstage for the day. Many banners were made and I even saw one girl with "Chipmunk" written on her cheek in eyeliner with five hours still to go until 'The Bash'.

The thing is: I really wasn't that fussed about the people playing. You may gasp but, to me, 'Chipmunk' is either the annoying guy who fuelled our GCSE art lessons with an appalling rap to debate (I mean, "Chip-diddy-chip"?! some originality please!); or a little fury animal! The other band (You Me at Six) I had only ever heard of before because they're the supporting act at the Paramore gig that my mate is majorly excited about. To me, neither are particularly famous and there are other people I would much rather see and meet.

On the other hand, when I heard that the Jazz Orchestra would be working with Gareth Malone, I was extremely excited! I'd watched his BBC programs and recognised the name immediately. In contrast, some of my friends had no idea who he was. When I mentioned his name, they drew a blank thinking I had gone mad. Nevertheless, I was thrilled to have the chance to meet him and to me he is most certainly famous!

(I think, at this point, I should qualify what I mean by famous. I'm not talking about how many people follow their work and know their name; I'm talking about how different people revere different people in the public eye. Like how some people pay more attention to some people and their lives than others. Similarly, someone can be famous in one particular town but, in another, can be known but nobody. But here, that town is my personal life bubble.)

Some of you will have no idea who I'm talking about if I say the names Alex Day, Luke Connard, Charlie McDonnell or Kristina Horner. Your average person probably has absolutely no idea who they are but, in the realm of YouTube, they are stars. My friend and I know more about YouTubers like them than any celebrity you might find in OK magazine. In our world, they are majorly famous and meeting them would beat meeting Katie Price any day!

Lots of people want to be famous. However, many of them just want to be remembered. The thing is, how well can you remember the 'celebrities' of just a few years ago? Can you remember the winners of shows like Pop Idol or Fame Academe? Could you recite all the winners of X Factor from the very first series? I honestly have no idea. However, I do remember my primary school teachers and other people like them: they made a lasting impression on my life unlike the riff raff of the celebrity world. To me, my primary school teachers are just as famous as any number one, best selling artist: and they certainly made more of an impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment