Monday 11 January 2010

A Winter Wonderland

I don’t know why I’m calling it “A Winter Wonderland” because, although the snow looks amazing, I now understand why so many adults don’t like the snow. With an exam tomorrow, I spent most of the weekend panicking about how I was going to travel the 12 miles to school. With more snow that I have ever seen before, if it had not started to thaw, delving into the realms of fantasy may have been the only way out of this predicament. Our Skôda Fabia is certainly not a 4x4 and walking for over 3 hours to get to an exam which is only 1 ¼ hours long does not seem feasible or sane!
Although I appreciated getting Thursday and Friday off school for a combination of revision and snow antics, I didn’t appreciate the extra snow that came Friday evening. Despite being able to use the snow to make an igloo that I could get inside, the church services were cancelled on Sunday. The snow had made the roads in the village so unsafe that our pastor took the drastic measures of cancelling both services.

My journey to church wasn’t the only travelling affected. Two of my friends were planning to go to London to meet a Youtuber that we all really like and take part in the filming of his music video. The snow meant they couldn’t travel with the certainty that a train would be running to bring them back meaning they couldn’t travel at all. I was also going to get them to get a CD signed by him but the snow prevented me getting it to my friends in the first place, let alone it travelling with them up to London!

Even though it hasn’t really snowed any more since Saturday night, the remaining ice and slushy snow is just as frustrating. Although the roads are pretty much clear now, the paths are still diabolical! Today I have ‘almost’ slipped over so many times and I even totally fell over when walking home from the bus stop. Obviously my sister was very concerned as to whether I had hurt myself: she laughed.
Moaning about snow makes me feel old. I should be young and enjoying the time off school it provides! So, I’ll end this blog with a quote from a song called ‘Snow Day’ by ALL CAPS:

“Open my eyes start to get out of bed, throw back the curtains to see a white spread. I feel like I’m ten and it’s snowing once again. Let’s go have some fun, the day’s only begun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment