Sunday 3 January 2010

My Treasured Possession

Back in year 10, we were asked to do a talk on our most treasured possession. At the time, I just focussed on trying to tick all the boxes to get the highest marks possible but looking back, I could have used this as a chance to demonstrate what’s really valuable in my life.

I don’t have a treasured possession as such, but I guess the definition of a ‘treasured possession’ should be considered. Is it something that holds a lot of emotional value? Something that is very unique or irreplaceable? Something that has high monetary value or something we could never live without? When I think about it, a treasured possession is likely to hold a mixture of all these properties. However, it is still hard to choose just one treasured possession. Do you choose a photograph of a time or person you never want to forget or something more practical or obsessive like a phone you could never live without?

If I think about it, a lot of my possessions are replaceable: I can buy new books, glasses or phone, and a large proportion of my photos are preserved online. Ultimately, my point is that I came into this world with nothing; all my possessions could easily be lost, stolen, or damaged at any time and I will ultimately leave this world without a single item. Therefore, my most treasured possession would have to be the one that makes the biggest impact on my life: The Bible.

I’m not trying to idolise the Bible as a book or as a material object but instead trying to indicate how much its contents affect my life. If it wasn't for what the Bible has taught me, I would be a totally different person. I'm not a Christian just because my parents are Christians. I'm a Christian because of what the Bible has taught me. God's word tells me about the great God who created all the amazing things in the world and how we’ve spoilt it all with our sin and disobedience. The Bible also tells me of how God sent his son to take the punishment for our sins in our place; He sent his son to be our perfect saviour so that we don’t have to face his judgement for all the wrong things we’ve done in our life. He has promised that “whoever comes to me I will never drive away.” It is because of this great love that He has shown us when all we deserve is judgement that I seek to live my life for Him rather than myself. It is the Bible - God’s word - that has changed my life; it is the Bible that lets me learn even more about God’s character each day reminding me how little we deserve and how much he offers. It is for this reason that The Bible would have to be my treasured possession rather than any sentimental piece of jewellery or well-read novel. Without the Bible, my life would be so different.

No comments:

Post a Comment