Tuesday 18 January 2011

Three Days...


"I mean, what is an un-birthday present?"
A present given when it isn't your birthday, of course."

Alice considered a little. "I like birthday presents best," she said at last.
You don't know what you're talking about!" cried Humpty Dumpty.
 
— - Lewis Carroll

If you know me, you probably know that it's very very nearly my birthday. Three days if you haven't guessed by the title. The one day in the year where I can get people to give me presents and be nice to me just because I exist. when I was younger, I used to love my birthday. I used to get so excited, be counting down for days and weeks before hand and tell absolutely everyone that it was my birthday. Now I'm older, I don't get quite so excited. I've got to the point where getting older means gaining more responsibilities and having to pay more for things. Sure, I'm going to be old enough to vote but to be honest I find that scary and I know next to nothing about the government and sure being 18 means I will be able to drink legally but seen as I'm not fussed about drinking in the first place, that's not really a big thing. 17 was much more exciting as it meant I could start learning to drive but now, 18, and I have to start reaching out into the big wide world.
 
You also get fewer actual presents to open with people opting to give money or just giving a card or people grouping together to get something bigger but I'm not complaining about that. As I've mentioned before, I much prefer presents that mean something, presents that have had a lot of thought put into them, or at least more thought than money, presents with lots of personal value rather than monetary value.
 
In some ways, I agree with Humpty Dumpty. (Now there's a sentence you never thought I'd say!) Un-birthday presents are much better! Not so much because there are more days to receive them but more because they mean more. People aren't getting them because they feel they have to because it's your birthday or Christmas or anything like that. People are giving you a present because they care and because they want to! out of the blue presents as so much nicer, have so much more meaning and are also less likely to end up at the back of the cupboard, forgotten.
 
So the moral of this story is: buy me un-birthday presents! Well, actually you don't have to, however nice it would be as me asking would defeat the object of why I like them so.... yeah.....
 
DFTBA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest book read: Still reading "Friends Like These" I should REALLY REALLY finish it.
Latest film/TV/ watched: The Time of Angels (It was on iPlayer... I got distracted)
Latest music listened to: Coldplay - Lovers in Japan [Osaka Mix]
Latest food/sweets/whatever eaten: White chocolate and raspberry birthday cake in mentor
Programs and web pages currently open: In Internet Explorer (because I'm at school):Blogger in draft: new post. Yup, that's it.

1 comment:

  1. the main thing to remember when voting is: never ever ever under any circumstances vote Labour. anything else will do, so long as you don't vote Labour.

    as for other things you can do when you're 18... you can legally buy tobacco, bladed implements, powerful glues, and Quentin Tarantino films on DVD (all of which I'm sure you were really looking forward to), and you can marry without your parents' consent (which I'm sure you were looking forward to as well) - how much more exciting could it get?

    ReplyDelete