Friday 23 July 2010

Skunks, Kookaburras, and a very scary interview [aka VetSim part 2]

After a very exciting Wednesday (and I didn’t even tell you about the birds of prey and alpacas that pee backwards), Thursday brought even more animals. However, first port of call was the interview.

Walking over to the other part of the campus I walked in and took a seat. Anxiously, I waited for a vet student to come out and call my name. Eventually, out came one of the girls calling my name and I followed her into the room, covering my nerves with a smile. As the interview progressed, I realised how much more than plain enthusiasm I needed. Her report at the end confirmed this and, although (amazingly) I was confident enough and didn’t waffle, I am spending my summer doing work experience and reading the Veterinary Times!

For most of the rest of the day, I was able to hold and learn about a whole range of exotic animals. Although I missed the tortoises and a lively little mammal, I thoroughly enjoyed holding more snakes, a baby kookaburra, a baby skunk and its mother (scent glands removed), a very large owl and stroke a meerkat.

The rest of the day also held more mini talks (which I am very aware I may have confused with the previous day’s) and I am now more informed in the Pet Blood Bank, CPR on dogs and many other things.

The end of the afternoon saw a goodbye to a couple of friends and a very nice lasagne! The rest of us stayed behind for more lectures, this time marine based!

(To be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment