Monday 14 June 2010

LEGGINGS ARE NOT TROUSERS!

I thought the disaster that people call leggings had died out after the 90s. I thought people were smart enough to learn from the mistakes of my childhood and avoid wearing leggings as trousers. (I had a particular favourite pair that was a hideous shade of green and I tended to wear them as trousers with t-shirts.) However, it seems that leggings have returned and refuse to go, like a bit of chewing gum on the sole of your shoe.

Leggings are not all bad. When worn as a footless equivalent to tights with a skirt, I’m OK with that. Worn with short may make no sense (it defeats the object of shorts) but at least it isn’t too inappropriate. The real issue is wearing leggings with a t-shirt. Even a long t-shirt doesn’t quite cut it as it’s still like wearing tights underneath; I still see way more than I need to. Your t-shirt may be long but I’m afraid it just isn’t quite long enough, especially when you bend over, sit down, or stretch up.

The worst offenders are people who wear leggings with ordinary length t-shirts. It looks like they’ve forgotten to put on a skirt! Way too little is left to the imagination and it just doesn’t look right. I think the worst offender was a little girl (although we’ll blame the mum here) who was wearing white leggings with a short t-shirt; White leggings which you could see her underwear through. I really don’t think that is appropriate for a little girl to wear and epitomises all I hate about leggings.

In short, LEGGINGS ARE NOT TROUSERS! So don’t wear them as trousers!

DFTBA, Terrie, I have not forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment