Saturday 5 June 2010

"From Margate to Moldova"

Exams... Yes, I’ve got exams and I’m using that as my excuse for the lack of blog under the title “From Margate to Moldova” and why this thing here is in its place. However, I’m not going to totally give up. Terrie may have seemingly totally forgotten about my challenge for her and failed to blog since the 7th May (yes, a whole month!!! Comment possible punishments down below please!) But I’m not going to give up. If I could, I’d somehow use the TARDIS or Bernard’s watch to combat my lack of time and terrible preparation but neither of those actually exists....
(Although I can change the publishing date and as Terrie hasn't been checking, she will never know whether I actually changed it or not...)

I was going to try and get someone else to write my blog for me. However, that didn’t really work... I sort of left it too late for them to write anything sane as well so instead you have to read my nonsensical rambling.

So, where to go with this blog... I haven’t really travelled much, and although this is a line from a Trock song, I talk way too much about Doctor Who. Although, talking of music...

My parents had lunch with my Uncle and Aunt today and apparently they were asking about what I like. According to my Dad, they were fine answering until asked this: what sort of music do I like? Now, my taste in music is pretty bizarre and even I have trouble explaining what sort of music I like and my Dad’s comments about Coldplay and trock may have been true, but not the full picture.

You see, I like quite a wide variety of music, I like to think. I won’t say I like everything because I most certainly do not. I can’t stand half of what’s in the charts but anything with good lyrics, a good tune, and generally sounds good, I’ll probably like. At the moment I mainly listen to artists from DFTBA records but within that you have a total range of genres. You have your more typical love ballad type (very loosely) songs (Erase This), you have more electro music (Tom Milsom), there’s some lovely piano and vocal pieces (Mike Lombardo) and some which have just truly amazing but geeky lyrics (ALL CAPS such as ‘Don’t Unplug Me’ or “World of Warcraft”, Chameleon Circuit with their songs about Doctor Who and Hank Green with ‘A song about an Anglerfish’ and ‘Farmville’). As my Dad said, I also like Coldplay and Snow Patrol is another more mainstream band that I enjoy listening to.

I think, the most general way to say what sort of music I like is with this: I like songs that tell a story; Songs that, without the music, could stand alone as a decent poem and also songs with a strong melody and good harmonies. But as with anyone, this is bound to change and develop over time...

No comments:

Post a Comment