Monday 19 September 2011

A Very Different View

As some of you may know, on Saturday I moved up to London to go to university. I moved into student accommodation, met the flat mates I'll be sharing a bathroom and kitchen with for the next year, started cooking for myself (sort of) and I'm now fairly permanently the furthest I've ever been away from those I love for an extended period of time. I now live in London: how scary is that?

This morning I had an introductory lecture and it's starting to sink in that this isn't just a holiday. This isn't just me going away for a week or popping up to London for the day. This is my life for the next three years. Going to lectures, living in east London, studying and just generally being a student.

Pre-university, you're told so much about university life. Told what to expect, told what to avoid, and constantly being told "you'll be fine, you'll have a great time" or words to that effect. However, I don't think anyone can properly prepare you for the day when you arrive at university, knowing next to no one and the day when you finally move out from home properly. Even if you're still going home during the holidays.

This is only my third day in London and sure, I've met new people, I ventured out to Church by myself, I've bought a two pint bottle of milk, I've cooked myself some pasta and a jacket potato, realised that if I want bread from the freezer, I have to get it out to defrost myself, but I haven't really taken full advantage of being in London. I'm not too keen on going out clubbing and partying so I haven't ventured very far and my parents did a fine job of making sure I don't need to buy much yet. However, give me time, I'll settle in and before you know it I'll know London like the back of my hand. (Wow, I never noticed that there before....)

Jokes aside, I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm searching out for all the nerdy things and if there is a Doctor Who society here, you can count on me to find it!!

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment