Wednesday 10 March 2010

Growing Pains.

Growing is something we can’t avoid. Whatever we do we will get older and we will grow up (even if not everyone totally grows up!) It seems like only yesterday I was starting secondary school and yet I’m now doing A-levels. Life seems to speed by with new experiences coming so fast.
The other week, I was at the house of this lady I help regularly and I was putting some food in the oven for her. You’re thinking ‘what’s so odd about that?’ Well... for some reason, her little girl decided that this task made me a mummy. I know I’m seventeen and all but a mummy?! Last time I checked, the definition of being a mummy involved having a child which I most certainly do not. Even then, I’m not particularly practiced at mummy-like things; my mending skills are only mediocre and my cooking repertoire is limited to toast, pasta, eggs, sandwiches and anything that just needs bunging into the microwave. Not exactly the ingredients for a good staple diet.

Being old enough to drive is also really odd. I’ve been looking forwards to driving for so long so it seems bizarre that I’m actually allowed to sit behind a steering wheel and drive down a road, despite still being on a provisional licence so someone who has passed has to sit next to me and I have to have big red L plates. I’ve had about six lessons so far and apparently I’m making pretty good progress. I’m on to manoeuvres and I haven’t crashed. Admittedly, I have stalled numerous times, mainly in my parents ‘new’ old banger that I’m insured on. Nevertheless, I’m that one step closer to being able to travel various places without having to rely on other people or buses (which if you read regularly, you’ve probably established my hatred of public transport!)

People often say that your school years are the best years of your life. Obviously I’m yet to experience life after school so I can’t really comment on that but I do know that the future looks daunting: Growing up means taking on so many new responsibilities. Nevertheless, I’m going to keep on going, one step at a time. I’ll one day look back at now and wonder what on earth I was worried about!

and DFTBA Terrie, I have not forgotten! Just a little deviation from "Why oh why did she write this list?" I'll resume that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment