Wednesday 27 July 2011

"We Love John Green"

My local Waterstones is awesome. Or maybe I should say it has become awesome. My local Waterstones has discovered Nerdfighteria. OK, maybe they're unaware that by stocking all of John Green's books and one of Maureen Johnson's books they've discovered Nerdfighteria but they sure have made me and my Nerdfighting friends happy.

Of course, this branch haven't always remembered to be awesome and they still have a way to go. When my friend Terrie first went in to try order Looking for Alaska for my birthday she got a reply along the lines of "Who on earth is John Green?" and it literally wasn't until about a week or so ago that they recognised the existence of Maureen Johnson. Furthermore, they only stock "Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes" so are unable to fulfil my Johnson cravings to the extent I would like.

Nevertheless, Waterstones has gone John Green mad. For quite a while, his books have been dominating the "teen" section with little hand written reviews for some of his books, praising them like nobody's business. Being the bookaholic I am, I can't go past Waterstones without popping in and every time I go to the back of the store to check the teen section. I've seen the abundance of awesome grow and grow from a few lone copies of "Looking for Alaska" all the way to all four of John Green's books. It's so great to see John Green's books flourish outside the world of Nerdfighteria and it also gives my friends and I an excuse to leave Nerdfighter notes...

However, I think the most awesome thing I've seen when I've popped in for one of my "check ups" on the section is this:

We'll ignore the fact that (in my opinion) "Looking for Alaska" has the wrong cover and that "will grayson, will grayson" is (also in my opinion) weird in paperback form (is this me being bias against copies that are unlike my own?) and focus on what has been written underneath. Oh. My. GOODNESS. Waterstones is awesome. Well, I guess it's the staff more than the big chain but still, EPIC. Who would have thought that a branch of a mainstream UK book store would get so hyped up about an American Nerdfighting author? Well I'm not complaining. :)

DFTBA

------------------
(I'm not going to do Two Truths, One Lie this post seen as I posted so recently but don't fear! I will blog again with the answer soon! I hope!)

2 comments:

  1. i wish my two local waterstones were as cool as yours is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend forgot to preorder her TFioS and they had signed copies in stock! Unfortunately, my local bookshops when I'm at uni are nowhere near as cool :(

      Delete